Friday, June 23, 2006

Time For A Change

I put in a request for a new flight instructor today.

I have had my instrument instructor for a several weeks and it just hasn't been working out. His knowledge is strong, but the teaching skills he possesses are not compatible with my learning ability. Our personalities are just too different.

He's a very nice guy and I feel bad for knocking his self confidence, but school is EXPENSIVE and important. I can't continue lessons with an instructor that I am uncomfortable with. I spoke with him about this last week. I asked him what I could do to be a better student to him and told him where I was coming from in hopes of solidifying the student/instructor relationship.

Another week has passed and it hasn't really improved. I told him this morning that I need to find a new instructor. I tried to make him feel better, but I know it bothered him. I don't like hurting others, but it was the right decision. I really think he knows it. If I were in his shoes, I would be bothered by it too.

The new chief in charge of instrument training is out of town and I don't know how long it's going to take to be reassigned. We agreed to continue working together until the change can be made. I don't want to get behind and I don't want him to go unpaid.

I know I did the right thing, but sometimes doing the right thing is hard.

No comments: