Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Taking The Kids For A Ride

I had to go to Wickenburg for business and decided to fly. Since my kids are on their summer vacation, I decided to take them along.

I flew from Stellar Airpark (P19) to Wickenburg (E25). Since I had little ones who's voices never cease, I decided to skirt the Phoenix Bravo both ways. No need to be trying to listen to 2 little voices on the intercom while listening for radar vectors from Phoenix Approach.

The kids had a great time after the initial uneasiness of being in a small plane. They really enjoyed the view and the whole experience.

It got a little hairy landing in Wickenburg. The runway is being lengthened from 5,500 to 6.500 feet. While it's under construction, the northeast 1850' of runway is closed, welll actually, GONE. The runway is only 3,500 feet now.

Winds were direct crosswind 15 knots, gusts to 20, so I came in with only 10 degrees of flaps and crabbed hard. I took a little more runway that I would have liked, but it came out just fine. Had to back taxi a bit. We were safe, so it was a good landing, right?




No comments: