Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Instrument Stage One Check Approaching

And I'm finding myself struggling with instrument flying. Getting my private wasn't really that difficult, but I'm still wondering where I'm going to put all the information.

Since I'm going through my instrument rating Part 142, there are 3 stage checks. As in private, stage one is basic and the stage check is kind of warm and fuzzy. To sum it up, stage one involves partial panel flying including compass navigation, power on and off stalls, clean and dirty slow flight and recovery from unusual attitudes. It also includes VOR and NDB intercepting, tracking and homing. I have all of it down within practical test standards, most of the time within commercial guidelines. FS2004 has been helping me practice DME arcs, holding pattern entries and a few other things.

I'm really not worried about stage one. It's beyond stage one that is blowing my mind right now. Things really ramp up for stage two and three. I've been studying IFR plans, departures and approaches. Low altitude charts are pretty straight forward, but approach plates are a little rough. I'm wondering how and if I'll be able to remember all the approach minimums, RVR, missed approach procedures, procedure turns, holds, wind correction, ILS, initial/intermediate/final and missed approach points, fixes...

AAAARRRGGGHHH!

For some reason, looking at what's ahead and expected of me to complete by the end of July is overwhelming me right now. I know people go through it and complete it. Stage two involves more flight time, cross country flying and a lot less FTD. Hopefully it will click. Right now, I feel like a fourth grader trying to take SAT's. This is what I get for doing this while having a full time job and raising a family.

Sorry for the rant. Gotta do it somewhere or else risk having a meltdown and ending up in a padded room, drooling the day away dreaming about Bob Ross paintings.

No comments: