Monday, June 19, 2006

Flight Training Devices

I am under part 141 training. For my private license, I spent exactly 1 hour in the FTD (Flight Training Device). In case you don't know, a FTD is like a simulator, but has no motion. There are other differences, but that's the gist of it.

Well for instrument training, about 40% of the flight training is completed in the FTD. The school's FTD's are all nice. They have two Seneca Level 6, 1 AST Hawk and a 737 simulator. The Hawk is what I'm using right now. Like I said, it's a very nice FTD. It's comfortable and everything works well, for an FTD.

The problem I'm having is no feedback. As much as I work on my instrument scanning technique, I can't seem to master instrument flying in it. I'm using about a 4 second rectangular scan, but still am having trouble holding a heading. I can't get the yaw trim set. Even in smooth level flight, the FTD drifts left. If there is a sweet spot for trim, I can't find it.

There's no problem with pitch, altitude and speed. But if I can't keep the attitude straight and level, it doesn't matter. It's about control. I'm struggling with finding the finesse to control the FTD. HELP!

I'm really hoping that the finesse comes with more time in the FTD. Maneuvers that I have zero problem with in an aircraft while wearing a hood (slow flight, stalls, unusual attitude recovery) are killing me right now.

I'm not sure if I'm clicking with my instrument instructor yet. I don't know if this is part of the problem of not yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: