Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bose® Envy Satisfied On The Cheap (I Hope)

I've been considering a new ANR headset for a while. I currently have a David Clark® H10-13S headset. It's a high quality headset, just a little heavy and hot...Even with cloth earpiece covers. They'll be great for backup and taking friends along.

I have been looking at different options and have heard really good things about Bose® Aviation X, but just can't justify the cost right now. The FAA DE that did my check ride raved about his as has everyone I know that owns them.

So I had Bose® envy which is really weird for me. The Wave Radio and Bose® headsets are the only products from them that I like. I actually hate Bose® speakers.

I was perusing eBay looking for pre-owned Aviation X headsets. While there were very few to be found, I ran across something called U-Fly-Mike. It's basically an ANC microphone adapter that works with Bose® QuietComfort 2 headphones. I did a little research and found quite a few very satisfied pilots that have gotten Bose® ANC technology for under $500. Now that sounded a little more in my budget.



U-Fly-Mike is was designed by a guy who's a captain at Southwest. Apparently, Bose® doesn't like pilots being able to have access to their ANC technology with the tighter profit margin of the QuietComfort 2's. They sued the U-Fly-Mike people, but didn't prevail. Score one for the little guy.

Both Bose and U-Fly-Mike have a 30 day risk free period, I figured there's no harm in trying them out. I also like supporting a new company with a product that is designed and manufactured in the USA. I ordered both today. I should have them both by mid week and will report my experience with them. If they work in a noisy Cherokee, they should be great in a CRJ and will last me for years.

No comments: