Monday, June 19, 2006

Tailwind Landings...Not For The Weak Hearted!

Since I travel to Wickenburg specifically for business every week, I got approval to fly there instead of driving.

Thanks to 61.113 I can get reimbursed for the expense:

(b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:

(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and

(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.


I've mentioned in other posts that I like renting from Angel Air at Stellar Airpark (P19) in Chandler, AZ. They have new, well-maintained 172SP's that are a pleasure to fly.

The only downside is flying in and out of Stellar, especially in. The designated calm wind runway is 17. Apparently, that means everything short of gale-force tailwinds because everyone ALWAYS uses 17.

This morning I was coming back from Wickenburg, tuned Chandler (KCHD) ATIS which was reporting winds 350@10. OK, looks like I'll be using 35. Call up Stellar and find out there are 3 a/c positioning for 17. The wind sock is pointing straight South. Um...ok 17 it is. On downwind, I'm thinking about how to land in a tailwind. Faster ground speed, longer roll...I'm not liking this. I look at the field and see a Lear 45 holding number 1. CRAP! Tailwind and wake turbulence. Sure enough, he positions and takes off. Airspace around Stellar is tight but I extend my downwind as long as possible.

Short final, 65 Kts IAS and probably more than 75 kts GS. Damn I bounced once. It took 2,000 ft to land, I missed the mid-field taxiway and had to go all the way to the end. Thankfully, the wake turbulence had dissipated enough. Safe, yet very uncomfortable. Since I bounced, do I get to log 2 landings?

Taxiing back, I didn't feel so bad as a guy in an Arrow had a very squirrelly landing after me. If I had more time, or if the wind was more than 10kts I would have waited until everyone took off using 17 and called 35.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I prefer operations at airports where the correct runway is always utilized. MORE EXPERIENCE NEEDED.

UPDATE- I forgot to mention another tidbit about Stellar. Parasitic winds can be monstrous there too. There are large hangars less than 100 yards to the east and large homes hangars attached 100 yards to the west. Good times.

No comments: