Friday, June 23, 2006

God Bless Gleim

I recently took my first instrument exam and got a 98! Now I'm not one of those guys that killed the curve in school, so a 98 is a pretty big deal to me.

How did this happen? One word: Gleim

Gleim Publications publishes study manuals for every aspect of FAA training. Sport, Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, II and ATP. They also publish the same kind of stuff for CPA WANNABES..,

But the best thing they publish are their computerized study session and FAA test simulator. There are a variety of options to choose from. For practice, I like to create study sessions. You can choose the modules you want, the number of questions and how they're presented. Then it is presented in a test format, except the it tells you immediately if you're right or wrong. The best part is it explains the answers, right or wrong so you can comprehend better, not just memorize.

Some people try to memorize answers for FAA exams. I don't get the point. If you don't understand the question and you just know the answer, what good is it doing you. Someone in my instrument class was observed trying to cheat. WHY? Again, what purpose does that serve.

When you sit down for your airline interview and they ask you a question that you have an answer memorized, you just might think "Great, I got it". Then the interviewer/check airman asks you "WHY". Duh. I don't know.

Gleim has helped me to understand a few concepts that I didn't quite grasp in a classroom. It's also good for a little "classic" cramming.

My .02 about Gleim and how it has helped me so far. If you're a new student, I suggest you look into it. It's really worth the price. (budgeting hint: up to 3 computers can be loaded with one key - $59.95/3=$19.98)

No comments: