Saturday, June 17, 2006

June 17th - A Really Busy Day Around Here

Today is my birthday. It's really just another day...never been one to make a big deal over it. It also happens to be my parent's anniversary and, on some years, Father's Day. My parents have been married for 37 years now and I would much rather celebrate that achievement than my birthday.

I am grateful to still have both of my parents. They are friends, mentors and the best cheerleaders anyone could ever ask for. My dad is recovering from some pretty major surgery and I'm glad to report that he's recovering quickly. He's always been there for me and I love him for that. His values and leadership have made me the father that I am. I only hope that my children feel the same way when they grow up.

In an earlier post, I commented on how much being a father has changed my life. Sure, it can be very difficult. But the rewards far outweigh any hardships along the way. My sweet children know nothing but love and they try so hard to show me that. When I came home this afternoon after four hours of BORING FTD instrument flying, they had a surprise party for me. They had filled up fifty balloons, drew airplane pictures and each one of them made me a birthday card. It made me feel incredibly loved and realize that their love for me is as unconditional as mine is for them.

I guess I am glad that today was my birthday after all.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

No comments: