Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Saturday Will Be The Big Day

I just finished my first day of instrument ground school. Thankfully, it was pretty easy stuff and it looks like the first week or two will be refresher information. The chief flight instructor called me today and told me that my FAA designated examiner confirmed for Saturday morning. Oral at 8 a.m. and flight at 10.

I'm really excited. I just turned in the request and filled out the examination paperwork today. That was a quick turnaround. From what I understand, I lucked out with the examiner. They say he is one of the more personable, easy going guys. Not easy, just easy going. I'm glad to hear that.

I added up the hours in my logbook today and it came out to 51. A few weeks ago, I thought I might do it in less than 45. It really doesn't matter how many hours it takes as long as I'm ready.

To make matters even easier, the cross-country the DE assigned is one I've already done. That should save me a lot of time. I'm not really worried about the flight itself. I'm really comfortable with my cross-country including diversions & calling FSS, emergency procedures, short & soft t/o and landings, ground refs, stalls, slow flight, unusual attitudes, airspace, CRM, ADM, VOR, NDB, GPS, Dead reckoning & pilotage, radio calls (flying to/from a pretty busy Class Delta airport under a Bravo shelf helps a lot) and ground procedures.

Now the oral is another story. I'm a little shaky when it comes to rattling off VFR minimums for Echo and Golf, weather report/forecast frequencies and durations and a few damn ACRONYMS. I did make a chart for both weather and airspace that I can use for quick reference. Hopefully, that will impress the DE if I have trouble recalling a specific and refer to it. I'm also having trouble remembering FAA Advisory Circulars (which number pertains to what).

Overall, I think I'm ready. My charts are current, I just bought the 6/8 AFD, updated my charts and downloaded the latest FAR/AIM updates.

Does anyone have any advice for me? As confident as I feel right now, there are many things I don't know and have overlooked. ANY help would be greatly appreciated and remembered.

The advice I receive every day is stored for future use. Someday soon, when I am a CFI, I plan on using it on a weekly basis to help mentor teens considering a career in aviation. If I'm going to get a CFI rating, I may as well do something good with it, right?

If you do have a piece of advice for me, post it as a comment or email me directly at flyallday@gmail.com

Good night!

No comments: