Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Stressful Week & Sleep Deprivation Lead To A Little R&R

Well Stage 2 has finally come and gone. It wasn't too bad. It began with a little excitement. We got to see a company Cherokee's belly from 100 feet. It had taken off about the same time as us on a parallel runway. I'm not sure if they were cleared to change from runway heading or not, but they came up and over us. No separation notice from the tower. Thank goodness for a mode S transponder and Garmin 430. They came right in on our blind spot.

After cooling our nerves, we started with a DME arc from the IWA VOR. Then I made the mistake. I second guessed myself entering a GPS hold parallel instead of teardrop (I know...I know...GPS approaches tell you exactly what to do!), probably because I was being tested and had some nerves. After correcting my error, the GPS Rwy 23 approach to Casa Grande (KCGZ) went fine. Next, we did the VOR Rwy 5 approach at Casa Grande. I couldn't believe it, there was absolutely nobody else at the Stanfield (TFD) VOR. One procedure turn, failed DME and DG and that was it. Smooth and easy. Did a nice touch and go and headed towards Chandler for the NDB 4R approach. Other than a mild disagreement with Chandler Tower about executing our missed approach, it was fine. Then the instructor had me do 16 DME arc to the north to intercept the 30C ILS at Gateway. I started my FAF time 10 secnds late, but he excused that because of heavy communication with Gateway tower. Trimmed out for 90kts, he had me go visual 10 feet above DA and it was picture perfect.

The oral exam was fairly smooth, I transposed a few things on service volumes for Localizers and Glideslopes, but nothing worth failing me over.

Overall, he gave me a 95%. I'll take that any day.

Stage 3 will be fast. This morning, we did the final approach lesson by hitting 3 airports (Deer Valley, Scottsdale and Falcon Field) during Sky Harbor's busiest time. It was really not that bad.

I'm taking tomorrow off to sleep in and catch up at my real job.

Saturday, we have our first instrument cross country. We're going to Tucson. Monday or Tuesday is San Diego. I'm looking forward to that, even if I don't get to see much.

With a little luck, I should be an instrument rated pilot by August 15th. That will work out well, commercial ground school's dates have been revised and it begins 8/21.

No comments: