Friday, August 11, 2006

The Loooooong Cross Country: Part Two

Part Two

Taking off from Carlsbad, we followed the DP out over the Pacific. I actually got in some IMC! If you're from Arizona, that's a real big deal.

We had checked the weather before hand and were advised by the FSS to go via Julian, Blythe, Buckeye and Phoenix. When we reached Ramona, we were advised by SoCal to reroute to Imperial, Yuma, Gila Bend and Phoenix instead. This took us about 100 miles out of the way.

Flying over El Centro, the smoke from the fire earlier in the day had created IFR conditions from the ground to well above our max altitude. Although it smelled bad and made our eyes burn, it was more IMC time. We passed through it after about 20 minutes only to see TCU in the distance slightly north of our heading. We called Flightwatch and they informed us that north of us from Indio to 100NM past Blythe was fully enveloped with convective activity and that our route was beginning to look sketchy.

LA handed us off to Yuma a few minutes later and that's when the lightning really became active. Cloud to cloud and serious cloud to ground strikes. We watched one spark at brush fire on the shore of the Colorado River. We filed a pirep, which Yuma thanked us for and called in. As we go over Yuma, we started seeing distant lightning east of us in the direction of our filed flight plan. CRAP.

I'm a monumental chicken. Scud running isn't in my blood. Especially under thunderstorms with 59,000 foot tops. I've felt what down and updrafts feel like in a small developing storm, and as large as these were, had no desire to tangle with these storms. We cancelled our flight plan and asked for vectors to Yuma. We thought we'd top off, stretch our legs, have a soda and it would clear up in an hour or so...or so we thought.

By the time we landed it was dark. We asked for progressive taxi to an open FBO. They sent us back to Bet-Ko which had closed already. Okay. Untie, start up again and contact ground. First lets, find out if any FBO is open. Fortunately, Sun Western Flyers was open, so we taxied over.

We got gas, waited an hour only to see the storms develop even further. CRAP. We talked Armando, the graveyard guy, into giving us a ride into town for dinner. If you're ever stuck in Yuma, there's a very nice outdoor shopping and dining area with about 20 restaurants and 50 stores. We settled on Buffalo Wild Wings and kicked back for a few hours...only to see the storm grow in intensity and come closer to Yuma. CRAP!

Armando came back to get us. When we got to the airport, the wind was blowing at about 35-40kts. We went to double check the tie-downs on the plane and decided that we really were tired. By the time the storms pass, it could be 1 or 2 a.m. We had already been up since before 5 and made a good decision. I gave Armando $10 and thanked him for the ride.

Now we need a hotel. Simple enough, right? Wanna bet? I called 5 hotels before I actually found a place with a double. The Shilo Inn. Sounds decent enough, but what an ordeal just to get a room. It's kind of funny, so I'll tell the story:

Clerk 1: Thanks for calling the Shilo Inn Yuma, may I help you?

Me: Yes, I'm looking for a double. Anything with two beds and non-smoking.

Clerk 1: Sir, I don't have any doubles, but I do have a room with two queen beds. But it's only non-smoking.

Me: slight pause (The sarcastic side of me is brewing. I consider saying: "As long as it's two queen beds, and not two queen's bed I'll take it", but I'm trying.)...um ok. The room with two queens non-smoking sounds great. I'll take it. We need a ride from the airport. Do you have a shuttle?

Clerk 1: No sir, we don't have one.

Me: Okay then, I'll have to call somewhere else because we do need a ride.

Clerk 1: Hold on sir...

Clerk 2: Thanks for calling the Shilo Inn Yuma, this is ######, may I help you?

Me: slightly longer pause...(be cool, you're tired and need a room.) Yes, I need a room with two queen beds and a ride from the airport. Can you help me?

Clerk 2: We have a double sir. But it's non-smoking and has two queen beds.

Me: OKAY! That sounds excellent! Do you have a shuttle to pick us up at the airport?

Clerk 2: Sorry sir, out shuttle is only available for pick-ups at Yuma International Airport.

Me: What a coincidence! We're at Yuma International Airport right now. And we need a ride to your hotel.

Clerk 2: Are you a guest here, sir?

Me: Not yet, but I'd like to be. Can we get a ride please?

Clerk 2: We can only pick up guests from the airport, sir.

Me: Okay, if we go to the airport, will you pick us up there?

Clerk 2: Sure. We'll be at the airport in 20 minutes. That should give you enough time to get there.

Me: Super. We'll leave for the airport now. I think we might make it.

I swear that is the way the conversation went. It was like a freakin' Abbott & Costello scene. I swear you could stub your toe in her family's gene pool.

We finally get there and the woman at the front desk gives us a warm snaggle-tooth welcome. Here's a few excerpts from that conversation:

Snaggle-Tooth: I thought you only needed one double. I can get two. Sign here on the Sky West page.

Me: Uh, we don't think Sky West would appreciate paying for our room. We don't work for them.

ST: You're silly. Of course you do.

Me: Um, really we don't. I'm trying my best to be an honest guy here and you're making it difficult. We don't work for Skywest and have to pay for our own room. What is your best rate?

ST: I can put you in a room with two queens for $139.

Me: I just saved your job and that's the best rate you can give me? Is this The Shilo Inn or The Marriott?

ST: We do have a Government rate, do you work for the government?

Me: The IRS deductions from my payroll tell me I do.

ST: Okay, I can give you the government rate of $75.

Me: Done!

ST: They Skywest shuttle leaves at 6:30 am.

Me: Okay, we're on it. Thanks for the heads up. (More water just evaporated from the gene pool)

The room was clean, the a/c worked and it had two beds! Go figure.

At 6am we got up, showered, had a delicious complementary breakfast and hopped the shuttle back to the airport.

Our flight home was uneventful. Just what we needed.

9.7 Hours time logged, 1 hour actual IMC, 9.0 simulated all PIC. I'm up to 125 now.

This weekend, it will be stage check #3, which is an IFR Cross Country from IWA to RYN Tucson. It shouldn't be too big of a deal. I still need to take my FAA written. I just haven't had the time yet. I think I'll do some Gleim practice this weekend and take it Monday. After Stage 3, it's the end of course stage check, which is a simulated FAA check ride. I think I'll have my instrument rating in the next 10 days.

I've learned to appreciate instrument. I'm no longer intimidated by it and look forward to having the rating. It's definitely a safer way to fly long distances.

If you've made it this far, thanks for hanging in. It was a long trip and an even longer story.

2 comments:

Steven Pam said...

Mike,

That hotel story is too funny, and I was compelled to comment and thank you for sharing it.

Your story from zero hour to professional pilot looks fascinating and I'm planning to read your whole blog from start to finish (I know, it's a little bit sad). As you can tell, August 2006 is where I'm up to.

The strangest thing I've noticed is that thus far you haven't received a single comment. What's with that?

Anyway, looking forward to catching up to the present day. And I'm sure I'll have more comments down the track :-)

JAFP said...

This blog was moved and renamed in December, 2006. Comments were removed when it was transitioned.

Since then, blog traffic has increased ten fold.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike