Monday, August 07, 2006

Cross Countries: One Down, One To Go

Stage 3 is happening really fast. Yesterday, was from Gateway to Ryan Field (KRYN) in Tucson. The stage 3 check is to Ryan, so it's one that is usually done for a cross country. The approach is an NDB/DME approach. There's a DME arc to intercept the NDB, with a circle to land. We did the published miss and then shot the ILS and had stopped for lunch. (The Monte Cristo is really good)

On our return, I filed a pop-up IFR plan from Ryan to Gateway. Tucson approach told me to climb to 5,000 before joining the victor airway. Well, he handed us off to another approach frequency who then snapped at us for blowing through the airway. Not wanting to argue, we re-intercepted it and continued our climb to our assigned altitude of 8,000. Creeping up to 5,000, Tucson approach tells us to expedite to 6,500. We were at Vy and could barely make 200FPM. It was a little embarrassing to say the least. The Cadets we fly are allergic to density altitude. How I wished I was in a 180HP 172SP.

We finally get near Gateway and are being vectored for the ILS 30C approach. Phoenix approach vectors us inside the FAF! Gee thanks. Anyway, it was a smooth day and all went well.

Wednesday, I'm combining my final two cross country flights into one so I can fly to San Diego. Hopefully, I'll get some actual IMC and some good experience with Los Angeles ARTCC.

I have to do 4 different approaches on this trip, so here's how I'm planning it: Gateway to Yuma (GPS Approach), Yuma to Montgomery Field in San Diego (ILS-DME), Montgomery to Carlsbad Palomar (ILS), Carlsbad to Casa Grande (VOR) and Casa Grande to Gateway (VOR).

My initial calculations have this trip taking 139 hours, 12 minutes in the Cherokee. I think it should only take 54 hours to reach MEA. I'm actually thinking about spending the extra money to rent a 172 for this one.

--

My friend Dana came by last night and had dinner with my family. Her CFI practical test is this Sunday and she leaves for Europe on Monday. She needed someone as a guinea pig to help go over some of her lesson plans.

Hopefully I was able to help her somewhat. Anyway, good luck Dana!

No comments: