Saturday, July 01, 2006

U-Fly-Mike Review

NOTE: At the end is a link to an update on the U Fly Mike after 30 months of heavy use.

After 25 hours with my new Bose® QuietComfort 2 headphones and U-Fly-Mike adapter, all I can say is, "WOW"!

Comfort: Compared to my David Clark® headset, there is absolutely no comparison. They are much lighter. I have worn them for 4 hours continuously without any discomfort. The mic is extremely easy to position and, unlike other headset mics, doesn't need to be eaten to be effective. It works for me 1/4-1/3" away from my mouth without having to adjust the squelch.

Ease of Use: The QC2's come in a nice case with a space for extra batteries and there's room for the U-Fly-Mike. I never forget to turn them off, because the power light and switch is right in front of you when you put them away. The U-Fly-Mike plugs in easily, yet firmly into the 3.5mm headset receptacle and comes with an extra o-ring to ensure a tight fit for heavy users.

ANC effectiveness: The QC2 headphones are easily quieter than my David Clark® H10-13S at nearly half the weight. I have tried a friend's Aviation X headset and would say that the QC2/U-Fly-Mike combo is about 95% as effective.

Overall:
This is an excellent buy. For under $500, you get nearly the same performance as the Aviation X headset, with excellent Bose® ANC. As an added bonus, they are multi purpose. I can take them with me on business trips and use them with my iPod. How cool is that? I got about 15 hours out of the first AAA, which was off-brand and supplied by Bose® . That is a little less than half the advertised battery life when using them strictly as headphones. There is a small mesh pouch that holds 4-5 AAA batteries in the case. I'm sure that the Duracell batteries will last longer and there might be longer life in a quieter, pressurized cockpit.

The only possible down-side I see is that they are not as sturdy as purpose-built aviation headsets. If you put them in the case after every use and don't throw them in a flight bag, it probably won't be an issue.

One more thing: They U-Fly-Mike adapter also has a 3.5mm input jack so you can hook up a portable music device to your headset. I haven't used it yet because I'm either flying with an instructor or through highly congested airspace.

To see how it's held up over the last 2 1/2 years, click on this U Fly Mike Update

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike I am thinking of doing the same thing you did with the QCII. Can you comment on how it's been the last couple of years with your headset? My email is sedaocs (at) yahoo.com