Thursday, July 06, 2006

Check Ride...Check

This morning was my instrument stage one check. It was only 78 degrees and smooth as glass this morning.

The check inspector that I went with really gets into unusual attitudes. They were pretty extreme. He actually said he was impressed how quickly I recovered, especially with a partial panel. That made me feel good and gave me confidence through the remainder of the lesson. Everything went well for once and started the day off right.

I really am struggling with holds, approaches and en-route procedures. I think it's because I got behind with the stage one check and wasn't practicing what I was learning in class in an aircraft.

For the last two days, I kept studying the Gleim. I must have done 8 practice tests and never got better than a 70. Most were in the 65 range. However, cramming came through again today and I got an 86. Not as good as stage one, but much better than I expected. Passing is 80, so anything over that is 100% to me. Another 98 would have been nice, though. The good part is that I got an 86 and had comprehension vs. memorization.

Now it's time to try and double and maybe even triple up ground briefs, sim lessons and flight lessons over the next 7 or 8 days so I can be ready for stage 2 check by the 15th. Commercial ground school starts August 9th and I want to have my instrument rating by August 12th.

This sure is happening quickly. It seems like just two weeks ago that I started on my private license, but it's been 13!

The biggest downside to working and going to school full-time is missing out on experiences with my children. To try and make up for it a little, I'm taking them to a matinee show of the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus tomorrow. My daughter and youngest son haven't been feeling well. I really hope they are up to it.

No comments: