Thursday, July 27, 2006

Gymnastics, Earthquakes, Shakespeare & Latin

-RANT ON- About a century ago, I was getting close to my stage 2 check, which is a requirement for part 141 instrument training. Well, after 4 maintenance cancellations and 4 weather cancellations, I'm finally ready. One last quick flight tomorrow morning and, weather permitting, it will finally be time for the check.

Stage 2 is the most difficult part of instrument training. Stage two basically involves learning holds and approaches, but it's not that easy. Picture yourself doing a handstand during an earthquake while reciting Shakespeare in Latin and you'll get a pretty good idea of what it's like for a simple minded doofus like me.

My dilemma is this: Instrument ground school ended today and Commercial ground school begins next Wednesday. From what I'm hearing, in order to begin Commercial ground school, students have to be at least up for their Stage 3 instrument check prior to beginning Commercial ground. If that's the case, we have a problem. I need to fly to Flagstaff, Tucson and San Diego, in addition to successfully completing Stage 2 by next Wednesday.

My argument is this: 1. They initially assigned me an instructor that was about as compatible with me as Ralph Nader is with General Motors 2. I had to cancel four LONG flights due to maintenance problems (2 for things that had been previously squawked and blown-off by maintenance) and 3. I have met every aspect of the training guidelines (Never missed a class, flight, ground brief or stage check).

They need to make an exception. First of all, commercial is much easier than instrument. Second, it won't affect my ability to finish instrument. Third, I can't take a month off from school. Working full-time makes school a real challenge. If I take a month off, it will affect my retention.-RANT OFF-

----

About the weather

This week we have seen some pretty amazing weather here in Phoenix. On Tuesday night, my house received over 3" of rain. It was incredible, something you never see in the desert. The lightning was some of the most intense I've ever witnessed. If it wasn't raining so hard, I would have set up the tripod to get some cool photos.

Our house two levels with an atrium in the center. The atrium has two drains that run to the sewer, which we thought was overkill...until Tuesday night. Here are a few photos of the water. Our neighbors across the street didn't opt to have drains installed in their atrium and spent the better part of the night bailing water by the bucket. Ours came within an inch of coming in the house.

Overall, the rain was really enjoyable. The downside was that we lost power at midnight and it didn't come back on until 5 a.m. It was too hot to sleep and I had a 6 a.m. flight and a 7 p.m. flight scheduled for Wednesday. Yeah, Wednesday sucked. Luckily, I had a chance to get a little nap in before the night flight. Thanks K.

No comments: