Monday, July 10, 2006

Am I Stupid? (Don't Answer That)

Well I'm getting a pretty good a** kicking working on my instrument rating. I think I should have mastered playing the accordian while riding a unicycle with a blindfold on before tackling instruments.

I think the most difficult thing for me to grasp is holding pattern entries. Everyone seems to have a trick for figuring out direct/parallel/teardrop...but I've been shown so many different "easy" tricks that it's proving difficult to master. I'm especially having trouble with NDB holds. DUH.

The only thing that has really helped me is the ASA Holding Pattern Entry Wheel. It only takes about 2 seconds to figure out pattern entry, however it is a crutch and I don't like depending on it.

Today, I got a little better and did about ten sample problems on the board, but made several errors in the FTD. Have I mentioned how much I hate the AST/Hawk? I really do. WITH A PASSION. I put nearly 3 hours on the Hobbs today and left feeling like I had just brought a knife to a gunfight. The thing is a POS. With no wind, the rudder trim has to be 3/4 left to maintain directional control. Right turns are light to the touch, left requires manhandling. The timer is unreadable, but they're too cheap to replace it. Oh yeah, the DG precesses without being programmed to.

With VOR's, localizers, DME, GPS and radial fixes I have no problem doing the pattern once I figure out the entry. NDB's are still giving me hell. If I figure the bearings correctly, then I forget which leg to time or make wind corrections in the wrong direction. CRAP. Aren't NDB's supposed to be history? Can we all write letters to our senators to speed up the retirement of NDB's? I'd even vote for Hillary if she'd promise to retire all thd NDB's.

If anyone has an easy method for figuring out NDB holds, please HELP!?! I don't know why it's not happening for me. I hope it clicks soon.

Four more FTD lessons before flying again. CRAP. At least I'm going flying in a 172 Wednesday. I'm glad to have something to look forward to right now, because I'm going insane!

No comments: