Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Instructor, Part Two

I wrote a few weeks ago about firing my instructor. Well in the last month, eight guys have gotten airline jobs and left for bluer skies. That left a shortage of instructors and made me either stick with the guy that wasn't working out or take some time off. I don't have time to take off so I made do.

The week following the "mock" firing, his attitude did start to improve. However, over the last 10 days, he has started going back to the negative comments and poor teaching habits. Last week, he told me to make sure and be there early enough for our 6am flight to be in the air at 6am. I got there at 5:15, did weight/balance/performance and pre-flighted the aircraft by 5:45. He showed up at 6:15 and we didn't get off the ground until well past 6:30. I don't mind if somebody is late once in a while, but don't tell me to be early and then show up late. That's not acceptable.

I work full time, have a wife and children to attend to as well as being a full-time student. All I ask is to have my school schedule a week in advance so that I can plan accordingly. I don't put severe restrictions on anyone's time. I just ask for a plan. Deviations happen, but give me a dang schedule.

When I asked him for a schedule on Saturday, he couldn't take 5 minutes to figure it out because he wanted to go watch other guys fly the 737 stimulator. Today, we had to incomplet the second lesson in a row because of poor timing and he forgot to block out time in the sim for Thursday. Now I'm four lessons behind. His attitude was poor again in the sim this morning and I just couldn't take it anymore. I called his boss and politely demanded a new instructor.

Thankfully, my phone rang tonight with a call from my new instructor. He sounds much more personable and said he has heard good things about me and is looking forward to getting instrument done in 4 weeks. Now that's what I'm talking about. Someone with a "can-do" attitude. I sense the negativity washing away and feel like I just lost 100 pounds.

I know I did the right thing. I had a call from another one of his students that heard what I did and he's feeling the exact same way. I feel for him, but it's good to know that it's not just me.

Hopefully, he'll learn something from this. Not everyone is cut out for instructing, but he could do it with an improved attitude.

Out with the bad, in with the good. Patience Grasshopper.

No comments: