Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Sandwich Artist

Learning to fly costs a lot of money. The FO job I'm working so hard for isn't going to make me wealthy, either. So I've been getting in the habit of eating for less. That means a 6" Cold Cut Combo, or the sandwich of the day from Jared's place much of the time. The problem, other than my low opinion of Subway in the first place, is that the sandwich "artists" aren't. Granted, if my full time job was being a sandwich "artist", it would make me very unhappy. So much so that I would probably consider staking out a freeway off-ramp with one of those "Will work for food (but would rather just have you give me cash)" signs.

So the other day I was pressed for time (and money, duh) before the check ride and headed over to Jared's place for a Spicy Italian. I ordered. The artist told me "We don't got no white bread". Umm this is Subway and you sell sandwiches, right? OK, I'll have Asiago cheese. Again, "We don't go no cheese bread". Ok, I'll have a Spicy Italian on whatever bread you have. "We don't go any pepperoni either, dude". This was starting to get old. Finally I said, "I'll take whatever you have as long as you promise not to call me dude again".

The point? This experience reminded me of a bit about Subway from one of my favorite stand-up comedians, Bob Marley. Here it is. Enjoy:



If you like this, you can hear more here. We've seen him several times at the Improv and he's hilarious.

2 comments:

Paul in the CA Desert said...

I once went to a Kentucky Fried Chicken back home in England and they had no chicken. I said but its all you sell and the girl shrugged and said sorry all we have is apple pies and french fries. I was like wtf?

JAFP said...

Yeah, I've run into that at the KFC/Long John Silvers in Wickenburg, AZ.

KFC/LJS: We are out of breasts, thighs and legs. Could I interest you in some extra crispy wings?

Me: No I try to avoid crispy wings at all cost.

And as for the fish at Long John Silvers, I'd rather eat cat road kill.