Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Panic Attack

Well, it's just about 7 p.m. I just got home from a business trip. On my way home, I start going through about 15 voice mails. Voice mail number 10: "Hi this is ***** from XYZ flight school, your check ride has been scheduled for tomorrow at 13:00. Your DPE is John Doe and he says to plan to San Diego. He weighs 220 and will be bringing 160 pounds of baggage. Good luck!"

Wow, 18 hours notice? Gee thanks. It would have been nice to at least have 48 hours.

Tonight: Proof read 8710. Make flight plan. Review, review, review. Systems, aerodynamics, regs, weather etc.

Tomorrow: Early morning review flight, then final review with my instructor.

Get me a paper bag...or some oxygen. Wait, is it hyperventilation or hypoxia?

Just breathe, you big doofus.

3 comments:

Avimentor said...

Break a leg!

Paul in the CA Desert said...

Well, I suppose it is somewhat real-life to get a call in the evening saying you're flying in the morning. In fact I know a DPE here in San Diego who won't give more than 18 hrs notice.

Anyway, good luck and brag about how you aced it to us tomorrow!

JAFP said...

OK, evening checklist is done. Flight plan, chart updates, 8710 etc.

Now if I can just fall asleep and dream about anything other than flying inadequacies! Last night, I was flying a 747 on a check ride and didn't have the correct flight plan and couldn't program the FMS. Stupid, huh?

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement.