Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Coping With Frustration

Today was marked with frustration. The end of course exam that was supposed to begin at 7 a.m. didn't start until 8:30. This limited the time available for the ground portion of the EOC. We covered rules and regs, weather, charts, flight planning and aircraft log books. It was already nearly 11 a.m. and the check airman wanted to get the flight out of the way today, so we put off the second half until Friday morning. At that time, we'll cover systems, aero medical and aerodynamics.

The flight was just o.k. The school has two Arrows, one of which I like and one of which I really don't care for. Guess which one we got? It's called "The Pumpkin". It's painted a hideous orange color and looks like the flying equivalent of a '72 Oldsmobile that's been rusting in Jersey since the '80's. The biggest difference between the two planes, other than one being old and faded and the other being uglier than a Pontiac Aztek is the props.

The Pumpkin's 3 blade prop makes it sink like a rock. Also, there is a lot of vibration at high pitch, low rpm settings. Even though they are the same model and vintage, they fly like completely different models.

I'll start by saying I didn't bust the end of course check ride, but it wasn't exactly a resounding success either. Not only were we starting the flight later than expected, an intake hose had come loose and needed to be fixed. Once we finally got in the plane, everyone on God's Green Earth was departing. The run up box was full. It took a few minutes for a space to open up only to have 3 aircraft waiting at our mid-field departure point, as well as a Lear 45, MD-83 and two T-38's at the long end. Of course all of the jets got priority departure and we had to wait over 10 minutes before it was finally our turn to depart.

The first part was a diversion. It was pretty simple and went off without a hitch. New magnetic course, new distance, new fuel consumption and new ETA with a mock report to FSS. Then it was time for steep turns. On my right turn, I was about 10 knots slow at one point, but within Practical Test Standards (PTS). I need to scan faster in the steep turns. Next was Lazy Eights and Chandelles. They were fine, other than forgetting to call out my final altitude on the second Lazy Eight.

He tried to trip me up by having me do Chandelles up to 7,500 in an area where the Class B airspace shelf was 7,000. Luckily I caught it, or just approaching it with the intention of going to 7,500 would be a bust. I followed the DME out to past the airspace and finished the climb to 7,500 where I was instructed to do a steep spiral. It worked out OK, but in my nervousness I didn't trim the aircraft for the proper speed and ended up working too hard to maintain the correct airspeed. Dumb.

We then went to my favorite runway, Phoenix Regional (A39) for landings. Soft field, short field and then power off 180's. Power off 180's are night and day between the two Arrows and I had to go around on the first one. The second one was right on. After that, it was time to start heading back towards Gateway.

On the way back, he said we would be doing Eights On Pylons and to pick a place to do it. He then instructed me to climb to 4,500 feet. That told me it was about time for an emergency. Sure enough, he cut my engine. Pitch for 105MPH, find a suitable landing spot, fuel on fullest tank, alternate air on, mixture rich, fuel pump on and check mags. There was a dirt crop duster strip close enough to make with a full downwind pattern and I made the strip.

Next was Eights On Pylons. Thanks to a suggestion from John, aka Aviation Mentor, I had already created a pivotal altitude chart. One look at the map and I figured a 100' adjustment and made the entry. The first turn was perfect. I started the second one a little early, causing me to go about 100' lower than if I had waited, but it was still PTS. I prefer perfect, but will take PTS on check ride day.

On the way back to Gateway, he had me do a simulated engine fire with an emergency descent. I didn't pick up as much speed as I should have, but it was acceptable. It was back to Gateway with another soft field landing.

Overall, I would give it myself a B-. Still looking for a solid A. Something to aim for on the real check ride.

---

When I got back, the instructor and I were debriefing when someone from the admin side of the school interrupts to tell me I'm on the no-fly list. Huh? He said I couldn't fly again until I had put more money on account. Keeping in mind that I have a negotiated fixed price and payment schedule which I have adhered to without deviation since day one, I started to get a little irritated.

I know they're having some serious financial difficulty, which is all the more reason for me to be cautious about money. I've told them to expect further payment FOLLOWING my commercial check ride. If they want to fight about it, I'm ready to walk away. All I need is 3 hours with an instructor at either of the FBO's I work with. Both have Arrows. I can get my own check ride. So as of right now, it's a game of chicken. I have the power. They do not. If they choose to make the wrong decision, it would be a case of cutting off their own nose to spite their face.

---
*OT*

I took my little Audi in for some warranty work. Usually they give me an Audi loaner, but were out of them this time. They set me up with a car at Hertz. Because of the BCS game and everything else that goes on in Phoenix during the month of January, they were out of nearly everything. It was either a Taurus or pay a little extra for a nice little Mini Cooper convertible. What the heck, it was only for one day. Why not go for the Mini. Who wants to drive a Taurus?

I was supposed to pick up my car today following the end of course. My phone never rang and I had to be in Wickenburg. I headed over to Falcon to pick up the Archer and flew to Wickenburg. When I got here, there was a message from my service advisor that said, "Your car is finished, but we need to talk. Please call me."

Apparently, the mechanic did some damage to the front of my car. They need a week to fix it. I'm glad they are honest about it and will be fixing it without question, but this is the second time my car has been damaged while there for service! Now I have to take the Mini back and pick up a loaner. I know the loaners are nice and I'm not complaining about that. There's just too little time. Ugh.

No comments: