Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Did I Mention D.O.E.?

D.O.E. - depending on equipment. I should have known. I've finally learned my lesson and realize how overrated optimism is.

The Senecrap is down again. I didn't get to fly today. There is good news, though. The other Senecrap that I squawked three weeks ago for blown prop seals is supposed to be up again tomorrow, if the new prop is delivered. I actually prefer that plane anyway. It has a 430 and a functioning DG.

The check ride is also a no-go for Saturday. The DPE has to work at his real job. Better luck next round.

I have to say that my instrument currency is pretty darn good right now. Flying approaches in the jet simulator is the only type of flying I've been able to do lately. Today, I hand flew a localizer approach for runway 27 at Memphis with a circle to land on runway 18R. That was interesting. Other than to see if the crew can stay ahead of the aircraft, why on God's Green Earth would an airliner do a localizer approach and circle to land on another runway? At least I didn't bust MDA and landed on center line.

Right now, I feel like I play video games. I need to fly a real plane. Soon.

1 comment:

Avimentor said...

Bummer about the check ride. You'll git er done, don't worry.

I did the MEM ILS RWY 27 with a circle to 18R several times in the level D Caravan simulator. The first time it was a handful - 1000 overcast and a mile. The sim instructor also turned the runway lights down on 18C but left the SMGS taxiway lights turned up and I landed on a taxiway!

The second time around, I had the localizer for 18R in the back-up and switched to it as I passed over the 27 threshold. So as I lined up on the 18R localizer and added flaps 30, the instructor gave me an asymetric flap extension. (sigh)