Monday, February 19, 2007

160 Days...

...is all it took to get my Commercial Multi Engine check ride scheduled. Saturday morning 9 a.m. D.O.E. (Depending on equipment). Finally.

I'm still a little concerned about the fragmented nature of my multi engine time. The bulk of it was back in October. I have only flown 2 1/2 times since then (the half time was this last Saturday when a bout with the stomach flu decided to make its presence known at 7,000'). It's really not rocket science. I have it all down. The PTS says I have to know multi engine aerodynamics (critical engine factors and Vmc), systems (engines, electrical, fuel, props and landing gear) for ground knowledge. The flight will probably include an engine failure on takeoff, engine failure in flight, feather, shut down and restart, simulated emergency including emergency descent, steep turns, Vmc demo and a single engine ILS approach.

There are a few concerns. The DG in this particular aircraft is CRAP. It spins against me more than a Vegas roulette wheel. Now I know that technically I am capable of doing the ILS without a DG, but who needs the stress on a single engine approach?

Another concern is the DE. I got the "oh $hit" look when they told me it was scheduled. He apparently owns his own Seneca and is an A&P, making him intimately familiar with the flying malfunction...er...Piper Seneca. Maintenance and systems need more focus.

He's also an Airbus captain and supposedly a pretty neat guy. I hope he bid a good line this month!

With FOS being as intense as it is, I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote enough preparation time for the check ride. FOS isn't a career critical event and it can be repeated if necessary. Failing a check ride can be, especially when you're preparing to find the first job. Therefore, I am going to forsake some of the FOS schedule to maintain critical focus. I have yet to fail a check ride and I don't want Saturday to be the ice breaker.

So, five days and counting. I love pressure.

Any suggestions for success would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Avimentor said...

I'd be surprised if the examiner gives you an engine shutdown, secure, and air start on the check ride - it's not required, it's time-consuming, and there are plenty of other tasks that will show if an applicant knows how to handle single-engine operations.

After years of giving flight instruction, I've come to the conclusion that EVERYONE flies better when they are relaxed. So ...

My advice (for what it's worth) is to take a deep breath, then find some quite time and do some dry flying. Sit down and visualize that you are in the aircraft. Practice configuring for each maneuver, do the flows, do the call-outs, run the checklists, and visualize everything going smoothly and effortlessly. The more you can do this, the better.

Oh, and break a leg!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got it down to me. Hang tough. From JP Illinois

Puneet said...

hey mike

thanks for supporting bloggingpilots.com

are you doing a multi addon ? if its initiall then after reading your post i wrote up few thing from my experience probably may be helpful..
here


good luck with your Checkride