Thursday, November 16, 2006

SSSSSSSSSSsssssssssss................BLONK!

That's the succession of sounds made by my first solo flight in a Diamond Star DA20 (Katana). Here's the story:

I had been trying for nearly three months to get checked out in a Katana that belongs to Falcon Aviation. It's a low-hour 2003 with all the goodies: HSI, Garmin 430 & 420 - basically the works. Yesterday, I finally had an opportunity to schedule the checkout ride. The CFI tried to cancel on me due to a scheduling conflict. He said he didn't have 3 hours available. I told him that we only needed 1.25 hours total. He indicated that he would be there, but not to expect to get checked out in only 1.25. OK.

I got there at the appointed time and we went out to pre-flight the aircraft. Although the Katana has some quirks (dip stick for fuel level check and 55c temperature sticker are two), the pre-flight was quick and easy. During the pre-flight, I pointed out a few things that he said most people don't know about and I think it made him a little more optimistic about the flight. Both the left main and nose wheel were very low, so we had the fuel truck come out and fill the tires to correct pressures. (remember this part)

We started up and took off towards the nearest practice area, which is only 5 minutes away. We did the usual steep turns, stalls, slow flight and simulated engine failure and returned to Falcon Field for the requisite 3 landings. We did two normal crosswind landings and the final was a no flap landing. He said he was surprised that he didn't have to tell me to do a side slip on a no flap landing. Umm...ok. We landed and he said he could definitely approve me for flight in the Katana. Total time 1.1 instructor, 0.6 Hobbs. I asked him why he was so skeptical about a quick checkout and he said that most of his checkouts in the Katana are 3 hours minimum. He said many pilots have big trouble with nailing the proper V speeds for landings and proper procedures with the free-castering nose wheel. Oh well, it took less than I expected and that's what matters.

After he signed me off, it was time to jump back in the Katana for a flight to Wickenburg. Even though it had only been 10 minutes since shut-down, I still did a thorough pre-flight. I double checked the tires and the pressure looked good. What I didn't notice would soon manifest itself.

A nice smooth crosswind takeoff kicked off the flight to Wickenburg. Since the Katana costs less per hour than most everything else, I decided to take a circuitous route to Wickenburg. I headed South over Gateway across the Santan mountains, then turned West towards I-10. The Katana was moving right along at 140 knots indicated, 150 kts. ground speed. I did the Sky Harbor transition and then headed direct to Wickenburg.

I made the initial call on Wickenburg's CTAF 10 miles out. Nobody there. Nice. Since there was nobody else in the pattern, I set up for a nice 5 mile final and all the world was good....

until...

A word about the nose gear on the Diamond Star DA-20. It's free castering, which means it basically a big shopping cart wheel. The plane is steered using differential braking and the nose wheel follows. It's great for sharp turns in tight places. They do tend to shimmy if the nose wheel sets down at too high of a speed, but it will usually straighten itself right out. The best way to land a Katana is to treat every landing as a soft field landing. Anyway, the only time a free castering nose wheel is a disadvantage is...

when...

there's...

no air in the tire!

The approach was smoother than a newborn baby's bottom until the nose wheel touched down and all hell broke loose. the plane started pulling to the left and vibrating pretty badly, but I was able to keep it straight and come to a safe stop about mid-way between two taxiways. I gave it some power but the plane wouldn't budge. Dang. It must be a flat tire.

I made a quick call on the radio and announced the problem. There hadn't been anyone there for an hour and I'll be damned if there wasn't an arrow inbound. They acknowledged my dilemma and circled the airport, probably enjoying the show. I shut the engine down and hopped out to inspect the trouble. Yep, it was flatter than freshly scraped road-kill.

In order to move the Katana, you have to go the empennage and push down and bring the nose wheel up off the ground. It's pretty easy...when you're turning the plane around to park. However, I had to push it to the closest taxiway, about 1500 feet! My biggest concern was someone coming in to land sans radio. I had encountered many flying mimes in Wickenburg and this wasn't a good time for another. So I basically jogged the aircraft that 1500 feet. Big fun.

Finally, the Flinstone plane made it to the taxiway and I called Falcon. The dispatcher's first question was, "Did you buy the liability waiver?" What? Liability waiver? I didn't make the tire go flat! I firmly, yet politely requested to be transferred to maintenance. They asked me to tire size: 5.5x4, 6 ply. Then they put me on infinihold while searching for the oddball lawn mower sized tire.

Meanwhile, the guy from Wickenburg Aero service heard my desperate and pathetic pleas on the Unicom and drove out to assist. We hooked up the tow bar and started in towards his hangar. The plane didn't want to move which meant...SCORE! I get to push down on the tail and Flinstone the plane about 6,000 feet to Aero's hangar! Does life get any better than this? I don't think so.

To make a really long story only long: He didn't have the correct tire, but Falcon did. That would require flying an A&P mechanic up with the new tire and tube, but not until the following morning. I was staying the night anyway, so it was no big deal to wait.

The A&P flew up this morning and we found out exactly what caused the nose tire to go flat. It was a valve extension. Apparently, the valve stem if somewhat recessed on the nose wheel. The fuel guy used an extension when he pumped the tire to 26lbs and forgot to remove it. The extension wasn't noticeable at pre-flight, but just barely rubbed the forks when the tires rotated. It probably ruined the valve stem on the takeoff roll from Falcon, draining all the air en route to Wickenburg. At least it was obvious what destoyed the tube and that I wouldn't be held liable for the repair costs.

One day completely shot: $500

Falcon's cost for a long distance repair: $1,000

Walking away from a surprise landing incident: Priceless

Lesson learned: There's a new area I will always check after having air pressure added.

1 comment:

Teller said...

Crap weasel; flying turd; flying mimes; flinstone plane. Love it. Sucks for you, but funny for the rest of us...only in hindsight, of course.