Saturday, November 11, 2006

Ditto & A Pause

I managed to squawk both of the "Flying Turds" today. No reason to bore anyone with the details as it has been covered ad-nauseum. Bottom line: no multi engine flight AGAIN.

Something has to change. I think that I have an idea about how to handle the problem. More on that as it develops.

---

Since the Seneca flight was cancelled again and I hadn't flown in 10 days, I decided that it was a good opportunity to take the family on a night cross country flight. Since Dana and I enjoyed Cattle Town Steak House in Tucson last time we were there, it seemed like a good destination for the family.

We set off in N60616, a 172SP G1000 with less than 150 hours total time. A front is beginning to move through Arizona and winds aloft to Tucson ranged from 25-40 knots about 50 degrees off our course. We practically flew sideways to keep on course. The headwinds kept our ground speed pretty low, so the trip out took longer than expected. My youngest was crying as Tucson Approach was giving me instructions. The controller said someone sounded unhappy. I told him that was an understatement and landing soonest sounded bestest. He vectored us right in. Very nice. Thanks Tucson Approach!

We arrived in Tucson and parked next to some darn nice aircraft. Jets & Turboprops: Gulfstream V, Dassault 900EX, Hawker 700, a few measly Citations (ha ha) and the most beautiful King Air 350 I have ever seen. At the piston parking area, we were surrounded by beauty: 3 SR-22's, a Mooney Ovation and a Lance Air IV that made me drool.

Dinner was good and overall, it was a nice trip and a slow night for Tucson approach. At least everyone is up to date with the college football scores. The weather stunk coming back. Moderate turbulence bucked us pretty hard for a good 15-20 mile stretch of the return home. After that, it was "smooth sailing"

My wife no longer fears night flying and I think she now understands why I enjoy it so much. My son also seemed to get over his fear of flying tonight as well. By the time we were descending in to Stellar, the kids had fallen asleep, allowing me enough concentration to make a "stellar" landing at Stellar.

---

Today I let my meaningless troubles get in the way an almost forgot to pause to think about today being Veteran's/Armistice Day and what it means. Unfortunately, it seems that it has become just a 3 day weekend to many instead of a time of reflection.

Both of my grandfathers served our country in WWII. One was an Army paratrooper that fought in New Guinea and Corregedor in the 503rd Parachute Regiment. I have a box containing WWII mementos, including his medals.

My other grandfather lied about his age and joined the US Navy at age 16. He was assigned to the aircraft USS Lexington, which was sunk by the Japanese Navy in the Battle of the Coral Sea in 1942. He spent almost 3 days in the Pacific Ocean before being rescued. After that, it was discovered that he was under age and he was honorably discharged and returned to the US. He died in a freak accident in a factory where he worked in Chicago shortly after the way. My mother was 3 months old when it happened.



For those who do and have served, we remember you.

No comments: