Monday, October 02, 2006

Hail to the TFR, Dark Side of the Moon & Ear Splitting Audio

The President is coming to Phoenix Tuesday through Wednesday to fund raise for Rick Renzi, a congressman for Northern Arizona. I have respect for The Office of The President of The United States, but does the TFR have to be so extreme? 30nm? His flight will be coming in from the Northeast over Scottsdale (KSDL) on the 005 radial of the PXR VOR. Almost all of our training flights depart south or east of KIWA, and would be well outside the 30nm TFR ring, however all flights in and out of any airport must be under a VFR or IFR flight plan. No training flights. Period.

Oh well, better book the sim now before everyone else.

It won't be that big of a deal for me anyway. Today is my Commercial Stage 3 written exam and tomorrow is my Commercial End of Course exam. Then ground school will be over for the next 6-8 weeks while I finish up my commercial multi engine and single add on.

Also, tomorrow is my wife's birthday. I'm going to take her out to dinner and the we're going to see Roger Waters (an influential member of Pink Floyd) in concert. We're both huge Pink Floyd fans and this is likely to be the last time he tours. He will be performing the Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety. It will be a very nice evening. Happy Birthday, K. I love you.

Has anyone else seen the current Roger Waters show?

---

This morning, I walked my kids to the bus stop for school. Now, a diesel engined school bus is not a quiet vehicle, but it was drowned out by thumping bass. As the school bus drove away, we expected to see a car with the windows down right behind the bus. The car was a brand new Acura RSX Type S and it was at least a quarter mile away with the windows UP! When the 16-17 year old kid drove by, the vibration from the bass actually hurt. What an ass this kid is, and what bigger asses his parents are. If it's enough to make me hurt on the outside, I can't imagine what it's doing to his hearing.

I mention this because I am grateful the be able to hear well enough to copy ATC instructions in an aircraft. I just sat there shaking my head as he drove away, thinking of all the things he could be prohibited or restricted from doing due to hearing loss. Aviation, communications, public safety, military service, athletics and much more. You can't always blame a teenager for being stupid, but with a car like that, he obviously has parents. Cash must be the substitute for parenting.

No comments: