Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Clear Left Prop...Clear Right Prop

Cue: Theme from "The High And The Mighty"

Oh what the heck, here...just listen to it. It will set the mood.



Okay...now that you're in the mood let's get started. Today, I finally began flying multi-engine aircraft. After all of the ground training on complex systems, emergency procedures and all that is multi-engine flying, it finally happened.

I remember watching other students doing pre-flight on one of the Senecas with a smile on their face every time I made my way out to a Cadet on the flight line. They had oil and hydraulic fluid stains on their shirts, their hands were black and a grin like a five year old on Christmas morning.

After today's flight, I understand the smiles. Even though the plane is OLD, dirty and all of the creature comforts are missing or INOP, it's a lot of fun to fly. It was over 90 degrees outside, yet the plane hit Vr in under 1,000 feet. Before I knew it, it was gear up and 25" of manifold pressure and 2500 RPM as we headed out for the intro flight. All I needed to feel like The Duke aka Dan Roman were some puffy white cumulus clouds and an iPod with the theme from The High and the Mighty.

The flight itself was really benign. First, I had to don the foggles to do some basic instrument maneuvers (constant speed climbs and descents, turns etc.) Then some steep turns and slow flight and back to Gateway for some landing practice. The weather was definitely in my favor today and that helped my confidence. My first landing was about 8 feet left of the center line, but smooth. The second was a smooth short field stop and go, followed by a short field take off. Third and fourth were just smooth, normal landings.

The Seneca is definitely a heavy plane. Drop the power and the nose just sinks. A few turns of back pressure on the elevator trim helps make flaring a less of an orthopedic torture session. All in all, the stability feels great. The extra weight really makes the plane handle. The plane is really easy to trim, making it easier to pay attention to things like gear and prop settings. Overall, I would have to say it was a much better first flight than I expected. No glaring problems or stupid mistakes. It just felt natural.

I'm sure there are people reading this with hundreds or thousands of multi-engine time. Was your first time as amazing as mine? Flying a multi-engine aircraft really makes you feel like a pilot.

After the flight, my instructor issued my complex aircraft endorsement. That makes me very happy. Now I can get checked out in an Arrow, 182 or the new Turbo 182 G1000 that Angel Air is getting. Decisions...decisions. As I've said before, "Life is good".

Now I have two FTD lessons before the next actual multi flight on Saturday morning. I can't wait.

---

It will be interesting to see the NTSB report on the crash today in Manhattan that claimed the life of New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle while at the controls of his Cirrus SR-20. Of course, no reports can be considered accurate so anything said is pure speculation. What could the cause be? CFIT, disorientation from flying in IMC, incorrect altimeter setting?

He was just quoted a few weeks ago when asked about his flying saying, "I'm not worried about it. I'm safe up there. I feel very comfortable with my abilities flying an airplane." Sad.

I was home working with CNN on in the background when the story came across. The way they presented it, you would have thought that World War III had just begun. The stock market started to drop and all hell broke loose. Granted, it was a big news story, but does the media have to try and scare the crap out of everyone? Fools.

No comments: