Sunday, October 28, 2007

What a Week

All I can say is that last week was one heck of a week. Four sim sessions, a trip to Washington, D.C. and the dreaded maneuvers validation. Where do I start? Work first, play second.

We had 16 hours to complete the four sim sessions over a four day period. The approaches we had to complete were: Cat. I ILS, Cat II ILS, Single Engine Cat I ILS, GPS, VOR, back course, localizer, PAR & PRM ILS approaches. All of the approaches were flown coupled to the autopilot and hand flown.

The only type of approach that might not be familiar is the Constant Angle Non-Precision Approach (CANPA), which are utilized by my airline. Once the procedure is down, it's actually easier than a standard non-precision approach with multiple step downs. To do a CANPA approach, the briefing includes a Derived Decision Altitude (DDA). DDA is the MDA plus 50 feet. Most non-precision approach plates have a glide slope pre-determined. We then use the descent rate based on the ground speed.Once we reach the final approach fix, we start our descent to the DDA at the pre-determined vertical speed and monitor the descent to ensure crossing at or above any intermediate step downs. If there is no visibility at the DDA, we begin a climb to the missed approach point and then fly the missed approach. The reason we use DDA is to ensure that the MDA is not violated during the descent. Well anyway...that's CANPA. I think everyone else is probably familiar with the other approach types.

Other activities in the sim were Rejected Take Offs (RTO), engine failures at critical phase of takeoff (V1 cuts), missed approaches, engine failures while executing a missed approach, ground proximity warning and escape maneuver, TCAS resolution, wind shear escape and wake turbulence.

On Thursday, my instructor signed off on my partner and I for the maneuvers validation on Friday morning. After a good night's sleep, it was time. My partner flew the first half and, other than a sloppy V1 cut that he performed again satisfactorily, passed his MV. Next it was my turn.

We started out with a 600 RVR takeoff with a 10 knot crosswind. That was followed by a regular autopilot coupled ILS to minimums and a full stop landing.

The check airman re-positioned the aircraft for another low-vis takeoff. This time, he gave me a right engine roll-back at 120 knots (V1 was 130). We carried out the reject procedure and taxied off the runway. He then repositioned us for another low-vis takeoff. This time there was a 10 knot crosswind and a right engine fire occurred at V1. When I rotated the aircraft, I took out the crosswind correction too early and went 15 degrees off of the runway heading. I corrected the heading and went on to complete the memory items and QRH procedures for the event.

He then vectored us back to the airport for a single engine autopilot coupled ILS to a full stop landing. Next, he repositioned us in the downwind with a failed engine and had me hand-fly the same approach to another landing.

After landing, he gave us the engine back and we did a low vis takeoff and departure procedure. We were then vectored for another ILS. After setting up for the approach, we were notified that the glide slope was inop and would have to do an ILS, localizer only approach. We set up and briefed the CANPA approach. At the DDA, the pilot non-flying called "go visual". I called "landing". On short final, a 767 crossed the hold short line and I called "go missed, set thrust, flaps 8". At the lowest energy segment, the right engine failed. I stabilized the aircraft and we flew the missed approach perfectly.

The last maneuver was a no-flap landing. After doing all of the required procedures, we set up for an ILS to minimums with no flaps. He told me to fly the approach coupled. Nice. A no flap landing isn't too difficult. You basically do the approach at Vref for flaps 45, plus 30 knots. At 47,000 lbs., that comes out to 171 knots. The only caveat is that the limitation for tire speed, which is 182 knots. Also, the aircraft attitude is about 2.5 degrees nose up vs. 2.5 nose down with flaps at 45 degrees. The approach was perfect. I touched down at 400 fpm on the VSI and airspeed was just right.

The check airman said that everything went well, but he wanted to see me do one more V1 cut. For whatever reason, I started to panic a little and that was the beginning of my downfall. The next V1 cut was sloppy and I got a "bank angle" aural. He said I had one more chance to do it right. I asked for a minute to compose myself. When it was time for the last attempt, I was so tense that I rotated too hard, when the EFIS display went out (happens on right engine failures when generator switching occurs - lasts about 2-3 seconds) I released rudder pressure and that cause the aircraft to veer too far off course. The MV was over and the result was UNSAT. CRAP!

I knew I could perform V1 cuts. My mind was my own worst enemy. I had failed myself by becoming nervous and uptight. The check airman said that it was gut wrenching for him to have to UNSAT my MV. He said that every other aspect of it was perfect and to not be ashamed. It was only an internal checking event and I was eligible for re-training and a re-check.

After feeling sorry for myself for a day, I spoke to scheduling and found that the re-training and re-check was scheduled for Sunday (today). The scheduler said that the check airman recommended that only V1 cuts be redone. Most of the time, the entire check ride must be re-flown.

I came in this morning and did 90 minutes of V1 cuts. We did mostly worst case scenario cuts, which is strong left crosswind with right engine failure. After that I was ready for the re-check. The check airman had me do two V1 cuts. Both of them were perfect and that FINALLY concluded my MV. I still have a job!

Next up: The oral exam and Line Oriented Evaluation (LOE). It is scheduled for Friday at 4 p.m. After successful completion of the LOE, I will be released for Initial Operating Experience (IOE) on the line! One more week and it will finally be time to fly.

---

I had all day Monday off. I had been working and studying for 10 days and needed a break. I check flight availability and found plenty in and outbound to Washington D.C. Reagan National. Why not spend the day at The Mall? I flew out at 8:30 and we arrived in D.C. at 9:50. It was clear, blue and a million and we came in on the river visual. That is where the aircraft follows the Potomac River with The Mall on one side and the Pentagon on the other side. Clear days like that are rare and it was beautiful. The high was forecast to be 80. Perfect.

I jumped on the Metro ($1.50 each way on the Blue line to the Smithsonian station) and headed to the National Air & Space Museum. Although much of it was under renovation, it is always moving to see some of the history there. I always enjoy seeing the Spirit of St. Louis and had never seen the actual Wright Flyer.

After the Air & Space Museum, I was getting hungry. Eating in Washington D.C. can be very expensive. Here's a well kept secret. It's the key to eating well and cheap in D.C. The Department of Agriculture has an excellent cafeteria that is open to the public until 2 p.m. It is located at the Wing 3 entrance, 12th & C Streets, SW in the South Building. You must sign in and present a photo ID. I had a grilled panini salad and a soft drink for $6. That's a little better than an $8 hot dog, huh?

After lunch, I walked across the street to the National Holocaust Memorial Museum. It is a very difficult museum to experience and everyone should go at least one time. Human nature is a very scary thing. If you're on the West Coast, I recommend the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles. One visit to either of these museums will change your life forever. I wish Mr. Mahmoud Ahmandinejad would've paid a visit to one of them instead of Columbia U.

I headed out back towards the mall. Last time I was at the Mall, the Washington Monument was still being refurbished. What a beautiful sight. I tried to take a few photos of aircraft approaching Reagan on the river visual, but only had my point and shoot. The DSLR would have come in handy.

I headed to the National WWII Memorial to reflect about the service of my grandfathers. I never miss the WWII Memorial.

I headed back to the Smithsonian Metro station and returned to National for a 5:30 flight back to CVG. There were 90 seats available and it was nice to have my own row on the trip back. I was back at the apartment by 7:15.

All in all, it was a great day. How many people can wake up in the morning, decide to go to D.C. that same day and only spend $14? Not many. I am fortunate.

Here's a few photos from D.C.

The Spirit of St. Louis

The original Wright Flyer


737 on The River Visual Approach to 19 at DCA



My mother's father was aboard the carrier Lexington in the Battle of The Coral Sea. He was rescued after the Lexington was sunk by the Japanese.

2 comments:

SkyCaptain said...

Beautiful write-up, Mike. Thanks for sharing. I had just gotten through talking to my CFI about her experience with a no-flap landing on the CRJ and so it was pretty cool to then read about yours. Glad you made it through. Keep up the great work!

-TN

Head in the Clouds said...

Glad you were able to make it through. And glad you enjoyed Washington! It is beautiful in the Fall. It's one of my favorite seasons-- none of the hot, crowdedness of the summer tourist season. And we have a lot of beautiful CAVU days. Just makes you want to go flying! Hmmm... maybe I should check the schedule for our airplane! :)