Saturday, August 18, 2007

Frequency Change

Two weeks ago, I submitted a letter of resignation. Today was my last official day in broadcasting. It has been good to me, but the time to move on has finally come.

I was literally raised around broadcasting. When I was an infant, my parents actually lived at a radio station. My father had a long and distinguished broadcasting career working in major markets as a DJ, then in sales, management and ownership. I followed in his footsteps and stuck it out for 17 years until I realized how much deregulation had changed the industry and broadcasting was no longer fun.

Some of the major changes about to take place are hitting me hard. A new career totally unrelated to previous experience, being away from home and family more often than not at first, an initial pay cut that is hard to swallow and moving from a meritocracy to an industry where performance is expected, but not necessarily rewarded are some of the bricks in the wall which I am headed for at break-neck speed.

I am becoming a number. It is the number that determines where I live, when I work, where I go and ultimately when I become captain. That number begins on day one at the absolute bottom of a very tall ladder. There are only three ways to go up the ladder: 1. Someone falls off 2. Someone jumps off 3. The ladder gets bigger. Here's to hoping that my airline is looking to build a bigger ladder.

If anyone else that has been through this, I'm open to advice on coping with all of the changes. Right now, it's a little suffocating. 9 days until class begins. 5 days until departure.

---

On a lighter note...When said goodbye to my staff yesterday, I said the typical and stupid "You too!" thing when they said good luck with you new career. It reminded me of one of my favorite comedians, Brian Regan. I love they way he makes himself look like a doofus without using profanity. If you're in the mood for a few laughs, listen to his "You too" clip:

If you like this, you can get more clips at this fan site.

Sometimes it's good to know that you're not the only idiot in the world.

1 comment:

Steven Pam said...

"You Too"... that sketch was funny, I can definitely relate. Thanks for sharing :-)