Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Hold South On The Stage One Radial - EFC: Thursday, 13:00Z

My instructor turned in the paperwork for my commercial Stage 1 check last Saturday and we expected it to be schedule by Monday or Tuesday. For whatever reason, it was pushed back to Thursday at 6 AM. It's weird to be 2 days from ground school completion, but only on Stage 1 flying.

Stage 1 is not really a big deal. It's actually kind of touchy-feely from what I understand. Simple ground review of emergency procedures, commercial pilot privileges and limitations and some weather. The flight is just a review of high-performance maneuvers, simulated instrument flying and in-flight emergencies.

I don't like sitting around unable to fly while up for a stage check. When they want you to do something, it's RIGHT NOW. When you want them to do something, it's when we get around to it. All I have left to do after the stage one check are a day and night long cross country flight before beginning multi-engine flying.

Today, I flew the official "Pimp My Ride" plane, Archer N4182L. It really isn't that entertaining to fly, but it lands like a dream and the a/c is very nice. I also have to give 2 thumbs "way-up" to the soft-as-butter leather seats with lumbar support. Flying from Falcon Field (KFFZ) to Wickenburg (E25) isn't nearly as easy as from Stellar. Falcon's position is just barely north of the approach for Sky Harbor. Sky Harbor approach wouldn't give me bravo clearance and I had to hop around the Valley under the Class B shelf. That took me over Scottsdale and Deer Valley before I could climb above 4,500. I'm curious to see how it goes in reverse tomorrow morning, when I initiate flight following with Luke Air Force Base (KLUF) approach. Will I get clearance into Bravo? I doubt it.
---

Here's an amusing video about a couple of pilots that decided to play Evel Knievel with extreme aft cg on a Saab 340. Sorry about the small size.

No comments: