Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

For my extra-curricular flying, I've been flying Cessna 172's from Angel Air. They are very nice aircraft, all 180 horsepower SP's with GPS, leather and autopilot. However, they are fairly expensive to rent. They have a generous fuel reimbursement rate and that makes them great for long cross-country trips, but my weekly trips to Wickenburg are 1/2 tank trips at best, so the fuel isn't a factor.

I found another FBO at Falcon Field (KFFZ) in Mesa. Falcon Aviation has several planes for rent including a few older 172's, 172XP w/210HP mod, 182P, a few Warriors, an Arrow, an Allegro (fun little light spot plane that looks like a 3/4 scale Cessna 152) and the two that I'm particularly interested in: A 2003 Archer III and a 2005 Diamond DA-20 Eclipse.

The Archer is loaded like a Cadillac with AIR CONDITIONING (I'm in Arizona, after all), dual Garmin 430's, slaved HSI, Stormscope, electric trim and a full leather interior. Not a bad place to spend a few hours. Plus, they just lowered the price.

The Diamond Eclipse is a lot of fun. It's like a motorized glider. It has Dual Garmin GPS, 125HP Continental engine (5.5 GPH!!!), Traffic Information Service, electric flaps and trim and is a whole lot of fun to fly. I've flown one before, but it was an older model with a Rotax engine. The new Eclipse climbs at 1,000'/min, cruises at nearly 140KTAS while sipping only 5.5 gallons of fuel per hour. I can't wait to get checked out in it.

My dilemma is this: which one should I check out in first. Money is tight (duh, I'm a student pilot) and I can only afford to get checked out in one. The practical, creature comfort loving side of me says Archer. But, the Archer is really just a dolled up version of what I fly all the damn time. It's like a Cadillac Escalade vs. a Chevy Tahoe. Same thing with a few more HP and doo-dads.

The thrill seeking side of me says Eclipse. I don't need to haul passengers and gear, it flies 25 knots faster and is $20 and hour less expensive. With the cooler weather coming, the canopy top won't be a factor either.

Any suggestions?

No comments: