Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Day Off Produces This Little Gem...

The UN is just like any other bureaucratic organization.  They like their weekends off, so that is usually when I am off too, unless there is a requirement for VIP movement or a medevac.  I stay in a gated complex - called "Paradise" for some reason that totally escapes my sense of logic.  But I digress...

I have been back in to exercising.  Last year, I reached an all time high weight.  Not good for the over 40 crowd, so I decided to get back in to shape.  40 pounds later, I'm finally running without making my knees sore or getting shin splints. 

So today, my one day off per week that is "OFF" and not stand-by, I decided to get in a run.  I usually do circles around my complex.  Due to the nature of the roads here and the way people drive in DR Congo (think Mr. Magoo - only not as skilled), I find - er used to find - it safer to stay behind the gates. 

Well today during my run, what do I see slither out of the drainage grate?  A little snake they call Mamba here in Africa.  Nicknamed the two-step snake because, after a strike, two steps and you're dead.  It's a viper that certain scientific circles consider to be the world's deadliest snake. The guards quickly killed it, which was just fine with me.  I'm more of a dog person.

To quote Indiana Jones, "Snakes.  Why'd it have to be snakes?"
Anyway, not a fan.  I hate snakes.  All snakes.  Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The World is right once again. It is a pleasure to read of your exploits. I will continue to pray for your family! Watch out for the critters. Your Pal jp