Thursday, January 22, 2009

How Lough Will They Go?

Last Monday, Comair furloughed another 92 of my brothers. That makes the grand total, as of this very moment, 298 pilots furloughed - roughly 21 percent of the pilot group. There are rumors of more displacements/furloughs in the months ahead. This greatly decreases the odds of receiving a recall notice in 2009-2010.

The latest displacement, puts the most junior Captain as a November, 2000 hire. Wow. 8 years to hold a junior reserve captain seat, at JFK no less. I don't know the exact date, but I'm guessing to be a line holding CRJ-200 captain at Comair, he/she would have been hired some time in 1996-97. 12 years to be a line holder at a regional airline?

The question is: If I were to get a recall notice, would it be wise to accept? As the company drastically continues to shrink, I would think the answer is clear.

Comair has a great group of people, from the pilot group to ramp agents to overworked back office support staff. None of them deserve what has been wrought and what may be still be looming.

2 comments:

Windsor said...

This whole industry is in the shitter. I really hope things work out for you overseas. Lemme know how that goes.

Windsor

JAFP said...

You said it. After 2 months of stagnation, the overseas deal is finally moving forward at least. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to it.