Monday, January 14, 2008

Ready...Set...Wait

This has been a weird trip. First the random line check. Then 30+ hours in Allentown. When I landed this morning in Cincinnati, the snow wasn't the only thing blowing. The other thing was my day.

As we taxied to the gate, the RIDS (display screen that shows various flight info) had my name displayed and call crew scheduling. Great. What would they want from me? A quick phone call would answer that.

They took me off the last two legs of my trip and put me on ready reserve for the rest of the day. The first officer that replaced me was displaced from a canceled flight and was not thrilled to be there. I was definitely not thrilled to go sit ready reserve. Now I'm stuck sitting here in ops, hoping my phone doesn't ring so that I can make it home tonight to see my wife and kids.

Based on my last ready reserve, I can expect a call from scheduling during the last 5 minutes of duty. This is the part of being a first year F.O. that is just no fun.

---

I'm not really a neat freak, but do like the place I work to be free of trash and fairly organized. This is my biggest cockpit pet-peeve: someone leaving their cup/bottle/can with chew spit in it. Nothing is more gross. Kind of a random thought, but truly a disgusting thing to come across.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading todays post i just remembered that you live in Phoenix. I happen to be in you town for the week, leaving on Friday. Funny things is your sitting in my Town, CVG and i am sitting in yours. You have a nice city. I haven't had much time to explore but i have to say i love it. I heard you summers are ahful. But waking up to the mountains every morning has been a awsome expierence. Fly safe.

jbail

JAFP said...

Phoenix is a great city that I would miss very much if I ever moved away. Desert, mountains, lakes ... it has a lot to offer.